growing a more resilient and just food system for all
Now Hiring! Foodshed Apprentice
POSITION TITLE: Foodshed Apprentice
LOCATION: North County Packing Hub, Pauma Valley, CA
REPORTS TO: Production Circle Lead and Foodshed CoDirectors
STATUS: Non-Exempt, part time, temporary, hourly ($19/hr), 10-40 hours/week
APPLICATION DEADLINE: August 31st, 2022
Foodshed is a farmer-owned, cooperatively-run distribution and resource hub dedicated to connecting San Diego’s small and urban farmers with historically underserved neighborhoods.
We are committed to fueling social change and environmental regeneration throughout our local food system. We source from more than 50 local farms (the majority BIPoC-owned) to distribute approximately 400 reduced-cost, and retail fruit and vegetable boxes to neighbors across San Diego.
Foodshed is seeking full and part-time Apprentices to assist our Production Team in achieving adequate production levels at our North County Training and Packing Hub to meet customer demand. This is a temporary position between September 1st 2022 and December 31 2022 aimed at providing aspiring farmers with the opportunity to attain hands-on, regenerative farming skills. Working hours will be no more than 8 hours/day between 7am and 3pm and will be clustered between Tuesday and Saturday. Some flexibility may be required to work outside of listed business hours.
● Bed prepping, planting, weeding, watering, harvesting, washing and packing of fruit and vegetable crops according to Foodshed’s crop and aggregation plans;
● Practicing and improving regenerative farming skills;
● Participating in farmer-to-farmer mentorship events;
● Representing the Foodshed Apprenticeship Program at relevant gatherings and events; and
● Collaborating with other Foodshed staff to ensure Foodshed’s overall vision and mission are achieved (This includes participating in Foodshed’s sociocracy decision-making structure through the Production working circles, as well as in monthly all staff meetings)
● Completion of Solidarity Farm Beginning Farmer Training or similar experience;
● Strong communication skills (verbal and digital) to support the consistent flow of information amongst staff/farmers/customers and community; and
● Bi-lingual, a plus.
Work Environment and Physical Demands With or without reasonable accommodation(s), the essential functions of this position require certain physical and mental abilities. These abilities could include, but are not limited to: sitting, standing, walking, bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, lifting (up to 50 lbs.), typing, writing, reading, speaking, seeing, hearing, driving, basic mathematical calculations, problem solving, reasoning, composition, exposure to outdoor weather extremes (as low at 45-degree low and 99-degree high); low-moderate noise level and decision-making.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send an email by August 31st, 2022 to Kristin Kvernland detailing:
● Your overall experience in regenerative farming:
● Your interest and/or experience with food justice, local agriculture, or similar social/environmental justice movement;
● Specific days and times you are available Tuesday - Saturday (7 am - 3 pm) August-December 2022