Farm School REMIX
Here at Solidarity Farm, we do not believe that it is prudent to plan for a typical school year. We expect Covid outbreaks to continue and shut down orders to disrupt even the best laid plans. We want to offer you a homeschooling curriculum you can count on and we want to ensure the farm is a safe, alternative outdoor classroom. So, here's what we've come up with:
- Parents and their students, or self-selected small "bubbles" can sign up for a "self-guided" session via our Squareup site. There will be space for 4 families/small groups per session (maximum 6 participants per family/group). Those using Inspire Charter funds will pay a small deposit to hold your space.
- Prior to your visit, the parent/leader will receive an email with lesson plans so that you know what to expect.
- When you arrive for your session, each group will receive a sanitized crate with supplies and your own "socially distanced" work station. An instructor will be available to help you if you get stuck and to direct farm work projects.
- Each 2 hour session will include a hands on science or social studies activity, arts & crafts, and physical farm-based activity. You are welcome to bring a picnic and chill out until 12pm.
We know this is a big change, but, we promise the projects will be as engaging and fun as regular farm school! And, if all goes well, we'll be able to offer traditional Farm School in the Spring.
Track One: Living With the Land
If you lived at Solidarity Farm 200 years ago, how would things be different? What would your staple foods be? Where would you get your clothes, medicines, building materials? And, if we could roll back time, how might we change our behavior so that modern people were living in balance with the Earth?
Wednesdays 9 to 12 target ages: 9 to 14
skills: Critical thinking, problem solving
session A: wild & domesticated foods
Session B: medicine making
session C: preservation and storage
session D: fibers and building materials
Track Two: Farm Alchemy
All life is built on the interaction of the four elements. Through hands on exploration and discovery your students will discover the connections between science and magic and how Earth, Water, Fire and Air blend to sustain all living things.
fridays 9 to 12 target ages: 5 to 9
skills: holistic thinking, listening and application
session A: EARTH (Soil microbiology)
Session B: water (hydrology)
session C: fire (photosynthesis)
session D: air (pollination)
Note: This is a re-boot of the 2018 curriculum, so, long time students will have done some of the activities.
Got questions? email is best!
What is Agro-Ecology?
Agro-ecology is the study of the interconnectedness between farming and the natural world. It holds as a premise the impact of agriculture on the planet and seeks to embrace nature's systems as the roadmap for sustainable farming. Children will explore nature in the field and at it's edges and cultivate an understanding of how connected they are to their world each time they take a bite!
Our teaching inspirations
Solidarity Farm School will embrace Waldorf teaching philosophies as our central pedagogy. This means:
- A rhythm will be established and followed at each session.
- Activities will be simple, unrushed and age appropriate.
- Only natural materials will be utilized in our crafts and projects.
- Information will be presented through stories and hands on discovery.
If you have any questions about this approach, we liked this article's explanations.
Sessions will begin promptly at 9am and should last approximately 2 hours, but, you are welcome to work at your own pace and bring snacks or lunch to enjoy. We do ask that you play separately from other groups and wash your hands before and after using play equipment.
Sign up & Cost
To sign your family up for Farm School, please click the "sign up" button at the top of the page. Make sure to choose the appropriate payment type for your family. The self pay option is self explanatory...payment reserves your spot. If you plan to pay with Inspire Funds, please pay the deposit of $10 to hold your spot. Then submit for a $100, 4-week certificate.
Groups are limited to 6 participants.
Refund/Absentee policy: Cancellation for a 4-week session is fully refundable if made with at least 7-days advance notice. We cannot return funds for individually missed classes in case of illness or other absence. Please let us know, however, if you have extenuating circumstances. We will try hard to be flexible and understanding. Thank you for understanding and respecting this policy.
Got questions? email is best!